Modern cars and electric vehicles (EVs) sometimes bridge the gap between practical and fun. They come packed with features that would have been unimaginable even fifteen years ago.
One of these up-to-date features is a Wi-Fi hotspot. The Mercedes-Benz EQS is one of many cars that allow you to set up internet access for other devices – straight from the car!
Setting up a Wi-Fi hotspot is relatively simple, although several steps are involved. Ensure the Wi-Fi function is activated first. Steps for doing this can be found in the first section.
Carry on reading to learn all about how to do it!
Table of Contents
How to set up the Mercedes EQS Wi-Fi hotspot
You set the Wi-Fi hotspot up in the EQS’s menus. Before doing so, ensure your device can connect to this network. Most modern smartphones, smart accessories, and laptops should have no problems.
The Wi-Fi hotspot feature is country-specific. It might not be enabled in your region, unfortunately.
Follow these instructions to activate the Wi-Fi hotspot in the Mercedes-Benz EQS.
- Go to the home screen of the EQS’s multimedia system.
- Choose Settings.
- Go to System.
- Enter Internet and Bluetooth.
- Switch the Wi-Fi function on by sliding the controller to the right.
- Choose MBUX Hotspot.
- Select a connection option.
Connection options for the EQS MBUX hotspot
After selecting MBUX Hotspot, you’ll be given a range of options for connecting your devices to the car’s hotspot. You’ll have to choose from the following:
- QR code – use your device to read the QR code displayed by the car.
- NFC – NFC (Near-Field Communication) is a form of radio-wave identification. Your device must be held against the interface when prompted.
- Security key – the more traditional way of connecting to a Wi-Fi network. Enter the security key shown on the EQS’s screen into your device.
If you want to reset the password or disconnect all other devices (for whatever reason), choose:
- Generate a new security key to create a new password. This disconnects all other devices from the car and generates a new password. Enter this on your device to connect it to the EQS.
Turning off the Wi-Fi hotspot on the Mercedes-Benz EQS
You turn the Wi-Fi hotspot off from the same menu by sliding the controller back to the left.
Here’s how to turn the function off. If you deactivate the Wi-Fi, you won’t have access to the rear MBUX tablet.
- On the home screen of the MBUX multimedia system, go to Settings.
- Choose System.
- Find Internet and Bluetooth.
- Slide the controller next to the Wi-Fi function back to the left.
The Wi-Fi hotspot is now off. Your EQS isn’t using any data.
How does the EQS’s Wi-Fi hotspot work?
Your Mercedes-Benz EQS connects to the internet via a data package from any network provider. Top your data up by:
- Go to the Mercedes me Portal.
- Purchase data packages from a network provider.
The car connects to mobile internet through this provider. It uses the data volume you’ve purchased.
What can you do when the Mercedes-Benz EQS Wi-Fi hotspot is active?
The EQS’s Wi-Fi allows you to:
- Connect your devices to the car’s data network (using the hotspot).
- Connect the EQS to your device’s data network.
This is perfect since it means you have a backup if either network is struggling.
How to connect your EQS to a device’s mobile hotspot
You can use your device’s network as a mobile hotspot to run your car’s MBUX system. Here’s how to connect your vehicle to it.
- Ensure the hotspot is turned on for the device you’re going to connect to. Ensure Wi-Fi is also active on the EQS.
- Go to System.
- Open Internet and Bluetooth.
- Select Connect to the Internet.
- Choose Search for Access.
- Find the relevant network (your mobile device).
This owner’s manual PDF shows more information about the Mercedes-Benz EQS’s Wi-Fi hotspot capabilities.