With a Digital Key on the BMW iX, you can access your car from your smartphone. You can also share it with others, allowing them to access and drive your vehicle.
This article will walk you through how to use Digital Keys for the BMW iX.
Table of Contents
What is the BMW iX Digital Key?
The BMW iX Digital Key allows you (or others) to use a compatible smartphone as a key.
Your Digital Key gets stored in the Wallet section of your device. Using this, you can lock, unlock, and activate the car’s drive-ready state.
The iX’s Digital Key means you can still access your vehicle, even if you misplace your physical keys.
Although it’s helpful, the Digital Key shouldn’t replace your vehicle key or Key Card.
How to enable and set up the BMW iX Digital Key
The main Digital Key for your iX should belong to the registered keeper (owner).
- They (or you) will have to download the My BMW app on their smartphone.
- Ensure Bluetooth is enabled.
- Scroll across in the Vehicle tab to select Digital Key.
- Tap Start setting up your Digital Key.
- Sit in your iX along with both keys. Press Continue and then check the box, before pressing Start pairing. You should follow the on-screen instructions in the app and on the central display.
- Once pairing completes, your BMW key will be available in your Wallet app.
- When prompted, place your phone in the smartphone tray. Main key activation will start automatically.
- You’ll see a message pop up on the display.
- The iX will let you know once activation completes.
You can now use your smartphone as the main Digital Key.
How to use the BMW iX Digital Key
After setting up your BMW iX Digital Key, use it the same way as your regular key.
Enable the Comfort Access features for optimal ease of use:
- Open MENU.
- Scroll down to Doors and Windows.
- In Comfort Access, enable:
- Unlock when approaching, and
- Lock when walking away.
If your car has sat unused for several days, Comfort Access might not work. This saves battery. Instead, you’ll need to:
- Touch the door handle once.
- Remove your hand and touch it again to unlock the car.
After sitting in your car, place your smartphone in the tray holder. The iX switches into a drive-ready state.
If your smartphone runs out of battery, hold it to the door handle. It should unlock your car as usual.
How to share the Digital Key on the BMW iX
You can share your Digital Key with others to allow them to access and drive your iX.
You can only do this from the registered keeper’s smartphone. Only they have the authorization to share keys. This prevents the key for your car from being shared beyond your control.
To share your Digital Key with another driver:
- Open the My BMW app.
- Select Share.
- Enter the other driver’s information.
The other driver will need a compatible smartphone. They’ll be prompted to follow similar steps to the main Digital Key when they receive your invitation.
Depending on their smartphone, they might need to provide an extra layer of authentication. You can use either of the following for this:
- A vehicle key, or
- The main Digital Key.
How to limit certain functions when sharing a Digital Key
In some situations, you might want to restrict certain functions of your BMW iX when sharing the Digital Key.
For example, if a young or inexperienced driver needs to use your car, you could prevent them from turning off stability controls.
When you share a Digital Key, follow the on-screen instructions to add restrictions.
Deleting BMW iX Digital Keys (including shared Digital Keys)
It’s sometimes necessary to delete certain BMW iX Digital Keys. For example, you might have loaned your car to someone for a few days.
Deleting Digital Keys is straightforward. You can delete them from either the My BMW app or the iX’s iDrive system.
You can only delete keys that aren’t currently being used to access or drive the vehicle.
Deleting a Digital Key from the iDrive system
To delete a Digital Key from inside the car using the iDrive console:
- Go to MENU.
- Choose Doors and Windows.
- Touch Digital Key.
- Tap the appropriate Digital Key and delete it.
How to use a smartphone to delete a BMW iX Digital Key
You can delete the main Digital Key from the registered keeper’s smartphone or the iX’s iDrive system.
If you want to delete a shared BMW iX Digital Key, do this from:
- The iX iDrive system,
- The registered keeper’s device with the main Digital Key, or
- The smartphone storing the shared Digital Key in question.
Here’s a PDF from the BMW iX owner’s manual: