The augmented guidance navigation you find in the Mercedes-Benz EQB is a sign of what the future holds.
It’s a technologically-advanced way of using a sat nav. Road information and directional instructions (among other things) are shown in 3D. A quick glance down at your central screen shows the front camera view with augmented reality.
Interested in activating route guidance with augmented reality? This article will tell you all you need to know about doing it on the Mercedes EQB.
Table of Contents
What is MBUX?
MBUX stands for:
- Mercedes-Benz User Experience
It’s the name for Mercedes’ updated infotainment system. It includes everything you’d expect from a modern electric vehicle.
However, the German brand has poured significant investment into:
- AI (Artificial Intelligence), and
- Voice control.
These features combine heavily in MBUX.
While augmented reality isn’t yet displayed in a HUD (Heads-Up Display), the pathway is being laid. As futuristic as it sounds, it might not be too far away.
How does the augmented reality for navigation in the EQB work?
The augmented reality navigation system compares a camera, sensors, and traditional sat nav.
You’ll see a live feed from the camera on the right central display. This is placed on the front of your car, giving you a view of what’s ahead. Merged with this, you’ll see:
- Directional arrows
- Places of interest
- Street signs
- Street names
How to activate augmented reality for navigation in the EQB
Here’s how to turn on your navigation’s augmented reality system.
- On the MBUX display, choose Navigation.
- Tap on the camera icon (provided the detailed junction view appears).
How to adjust the EQB’s augmented reality settings
Follow these instructions to adjust the augmented reality settings.
- Go to Navigation.
- Select Navigation Settings.
- From here, you can adjust plenty of settings. These include:
- Messages & Acoustic Signals
Turning on street names and house numbers in augmented reality navigation
Turning on street names and house numbers is an integral part of making the most of augmented reality navigation. Follow the below instructions.
- Choose Navigation.
- Select Advanced.
- Turn Street names and House numbers on.
- These are now shown as additional information on the augmented reality navigation screen.
Traffic Light Zoom function in EQB augmented reality settings
The Traffic Light Zoom function displays an “enlarged traffic light display”.
When you stop at the lights, this screen will replace the map. As soon as you move away, the navigational screen returns.
- Ensure augmented reality is already activated (see above).
- On the MBUX display, go to Navigation.
- Select Advanced.
- Go to Augmented Reality.
- Activate Traffic light zoom.
How to adjust Traffic Light Zoom settings on the Mercedes-Benz EQB
Once you’ve activated the Traffic light zoom feature, you can adjust the settings. Here’s how to do that.
- Go to Navigation.
- Choose Advanced.
- Select Augmented Reality.
- Under Traffic light view, pick your desired setting:
- After asking
A display message appears when you stop your car in the After asking setting. You’ll need to confirm it before the Traffic light zoom feature shows on your screen.
If you choose Automatic, the Traffic light zoom feature displays every time you stop. There’s no need to confirm it each time.
Using Mercedes-Benz EQB augmented reality navigation safely
As with any modern driver assist system, it’s crucial to use augmented reality navigation safely.
In short, don’t let the camera take your focus off the road in front of you. Watch out for the following.
- Instructions might be delayed and show up late.
- Sensors and cameras can fail.
- Information might be misread or outdated.
- The camera might be slightly delayed compared to real life.
See a PDF from the Mercedes-Benz EQB’s owner’s manual below: