Key batteries all inevitably die eventually. While this won’t restrict you from entering your Porsche Taycan, it will prevent you from using the central locking.
This brief article contains a quick overview explaining how to change the battery in your Porsche Taycan key. As always, you must read your owner’s manual before attempting this.
Take particular care to read the safety notices and never leave button cell batteries lying around. They cause fatal internal injuries.
How do you know when your Taycan’s key battery is dying?
Before the key battery dies completely, you’ll notice the following:
- The central locking doesn’t always work.
- You need to get closer to use the key.
- The key’s Porsche logo no longer lights up when you press the buttons.
- You’ll see a warning message in your car.
Changing the battery once every few years is normal. If you have to replace it more often, there may be an electrical problem with the key’s hardware.
A note on safety
Button cell batteries are highly toxic. They’ll cause internal chemical burns and death within a few hours if ingested.
This applies to both the old and new batteries.
For this reason, keep them well away from children, animals, the elderly, and vulnerable individuals. If a person or animal consumes a button cell battery, or even if you only suspect it, get immediate medical help.
After removing the old battery, store it safely. It must be properly disposed of but remain out of reach. You must also store your key locked away from children and vulnerable adults.
They might open it (using the method described below) and could swallow the button cell battery.
Replacing the Porsche Taycan key battery
The Porsche Taycan key needs a CR 2032, 3-Volt button cell battery (like many other vehicles). You’ll find these at any automotive hardware store, locksmith, or even Walmart and Amazon.
Remember the safety notices above. Follow these instructions to change your key battery:
- Turn your key over and remove the emergency key from the fob.
- You’ll need to push it out.
- Unclip the key housing.
- You’ll pull two sections off from the right and the left.
- Turn the battery cover anticlockwise to remove it and reveal the battery.
- This is the circular plastic part in the center.
- Remove the old battery.
- You might need to tap it out.
- Don’t lose this. Put it to one side in a safe location.
- Fit the new CR 2032 battery.
- Ensure it’s in securely.
- The polarity must be the right way around.
- Replace the battery cover, turning it clockwise to lock it in place.
- Refit the housing and, finally, the emergency key.
Test the key by pressing the buttons and seeing if the Taycan responds.
If it doesn’t:
- Ensure you have the correct key battery type.
- Double-check that the polarity is the right way around.
- Push the battery to ensure it’s in securely.
- Check you’re in range of your car.
- Retry the steps above.
If the key still doesn’t work, you’ll need help from a Porsche-approved locksmith or dealer. You might need a new key.
How to start your Porsche Taycan if the key battery is dead
If you can’t get your key fob to work, you can still access your Taycan and start the ignition.
How to access the Taycan’s cabin with a dead key battery
Here’s how to unlock the doors when the Porsche Taycan key battery dies:
- Remove the emergency key from the fob.
- You’ll need to slide this up and out.
- Remove the cover on the door handle to reveal the manual lock.
- Use the emergency key to open the door.
How to start the ignition when the Porsche Taycan key is dead
You still turn your Porsche Taycan on, even if the key battery is dead. Follow these instructions to do that:
- Open your car’s doors with the emergency key using the above method.
- Replace the emergency key in the fob.
- Put the key in the center console’s rear cup holder.
- Point the tip of the key towards the front of the car.
- Press it into the inside wall of the cupholder.
- While holding the key in this position, press the power button.
The ignition should come on. You might need to try this a few times before it works, but it will eventually. Otherwise, check the high-voltage batteries are charged up.
It’s crucial to read your owner’s manual, so you understand all the risks. It contains model-specific information and instructions. Below is a PDF version of the Porsche Taycan owner’s manual.
Can I replace the key fob battery myself?
Yes, you can replace the key fob battery in your Porsche Taycan yourself. The article provides step-by-step instructions on how to change the key battery. However, it is essential to follow the safety guidelines mentioned in the article when handling button cell batteries.
What battery is used for Porsche key?
The Porsche Taycan key fob uses a CR 2032, 3-Volt button cell battery. You can find this type of battery at various automotive hardware stores, locksmiths, and retailers like Walmart and Amazon.
How do you open a Porsche Taycan with a key?
To open a Porsche Taycan using the emergency key when the key fob battery is dead, follow these steps:
- Remove the emergency key from the key fob.
- Remove the cover on the door handle to access the manual lock.
- Use the emergency key to unlock the door.
Does a Porsche ignition key have a battery?
No, the Porsche ignition key itself does not have a battery. The article provides information on changing the battery for the key fob, which is used for keyless entry and various functions related to your Porsche Taycan. The ignition key is typically a traditional, non-battery-operated key used to start the vehicle.