The Rivian R1T comes with its own in-built air compressor. It’s made for the adventurer at heart (as is the entire vehicle).
You’ll find it in the Gear Tunnel door. Along with the compressor, you’ll find the accessory kit. This includes:
- A 20-foot pressure hose
- An air chuck for connecting to items or using as a hose
- Adapters and inflation needles for different valve types
The Rivian R1T air compressor can inflate any item – including its own tires – up to 140 PSI. This is far more pressure than most items require.
This article contains a brief overview of the R1T air compressor rather than in-depth operating details. There’s no replacement for the information found in your owner’s manual. Ensure you read it.
Table of Contents
What can you use the Rivian R1T air compressor for?
You can use the Rivian R1 T’s onboard air compressor to inflate the following:
- The Rivian R1 T’s tires
- Nearby vehicle tires
- Bicycle tires
- Inflatable rafts
- Other inflatable equipment
- Other adventure equipment
- Camp beds
You can also use the R1 T’s air compressor to form:
- An air hose
This can be useful for tidying up debris such as dust, sand, or dry dirt.
How to use the Rivian R1T air compressor
Follow the below instructions to use the Rivian R1T air compressor to inflate your tires, equipment, or something else.
- Put your R1T in Park and ensure it’s stationary on a flat, safe surface. Don’t lock the doors.
- Check the recommended pressure of the item you’re inflating.
- If you’re pumping up your truck’s tires, you’ll find this information in the owner’s manual.
- Attach the air chuck to the pressure hose. Ensure it’s firmly connected.
- Attach additional adapters if necessary.
- Connect the other end of the pressure hose to the air compressor at the quick-disconnect fitting.
- Connect the air chuck to the valve of the item you’re inflating.
- Use the buttons on the air compressor to set the target PSI.
- The + button increases the set PSI.
- The – button decreases the set PSI.
- Press the Start button (play/pause) to begin the pumping process.
- The air compressor will automatically cut out when it reaches the target pressure.
- Squeeze the air chuck lever to remove it from the inflated item’s valve.
How to use the Rivian air compressor as a clean-up tool
You can use the same piece of kit to clean the cabin interior or truck bed. Use air pressure to blow away dirt and debris. Simply don’t attach the air chuck to any item, and don’t set a target pressure.
Below, you’ll find the instructions in full.
- Find somewhere safe and flat to park. Put your truck in Park and ensure the parking brake is on. Keep the vehicle unlocked.
- Attach the air chuck to one end of the pressure hose. Ensure it’s firmly pressed in.
- Attach the other end of the pressure hose to the air compressor.
- Unlike when inflating a tire or piece of equipment, don’t set a target pressure.
- Press the Start button on the air compressor.
- You’ll now be able to spray air and clean your R1T.
- Press the Pause button (the same button) to stop the airflow.
Rivian R1T air compressor limitations
Be aware of the following limitations before using the air compressor.
- Don’t use the Rivian R1 T’s air compressor for longer than 10 straight minutes. It will eventually overheat. Give it time to cool down if you need to use it a significant amount.
- If the air compressor overheats, a switch will open and prevent it from working. As soon as it cools down, you’ll be able to use it again.
- Ensure you use the correct adapters and needles.
- Be careful when attaching the pressure hose. Ensure it snaps on firmly.
- After five minutes of inactivity, the target pressure will be forgotten. After ten minutes without any activity, the air compressor will power off.
Read your owner’s manual before operating the R1 T’s air compressor. It’s vital. Below, you’ll find a PDF of the Rivian R1T owner’s manual.
How do you turn on an air compressor?
To activate the Rivian R1T’s air compressor, make sure the vehicle is parked on a flat surface. Attach the air chuck and hose, set the target PSI, and then press the Start button.
Does the Rivian R1T have an air compressor?
Yes, the Rivian R1T comes equipped with an integrated air compressor, designed for inflating various items, including tires and equipment.
How do you use a DC 12V air compressor?
If you’re using a standalone DC 12V air compressor, typically, you connect it to a power source, attach the appropriate hose, set the desired pressure (if applicable), start the compressor, and monitor the pressure until it reaches your target.
How do you check tire pressure on a Rivian?
To check tire pressure on a Rivian R1T, consult the owner’s manual for recommended tire pressure. Use a tire pressure gauge to measure the current pressure in each tire. Adjust as needed with the built-in air compressor.
How do you use an air compressor?
Using an air compressor, whether in the Rivian R1T or standalone, involves connecting it to power, attaching hoses, setting pressure (if applicable), starting the compressor, monitoring the pressure, and safely disconnecting the hose. Refer to the user manual for model-specific instructions.