The Hyundai Kona EV is a brilliant example of what we can probably expect the average car on the road to be like in five or ten years. It’s nice and nippy, taking full advantage of that electric-motor-generated torque without blowing the socks off anyone in or around it.
It’s steady, I think, is a good description.
In some circumstances, you need to know the dimensions of your Hyundai Kona EV. Perhaps you want to check them out before buying the car to see if they suit your needs.
I checked out the Hyundai Kona EV owner’s manual to find answers. The numbers you see on this page are what I discovered in it. Please take them as friendly suggestions but not advice or set-in-stone figures! Your car might be different.
With that said, let’s get into it.
Table of Contents
What do car measurements mean?
You’ll find information about your vehicle’s dimensions in your owner’s manual (no matter the make and model). These are typically near the end of the booklet. You’ll also see and hear it in auto reviews or news snippets.
Defining what they all mean would be helpful before giving you the exact numbers in the Hyundai Kona EV’s manual. It’s important because a few things (such as wheelbase and track) are often confused.
In your Hyundai Kona EV owner’s manual, you’ll find the following measurements listed:
- Overall length – this is the longest measurement, from the very front of the car to the very back
- Overall width – the maximum width of the car’s body. For the Hyundai Kona EV, I don’t believe this includes the wing mirrors.
- Overall height – the highest point of the vehicle, measured straight down to the road.
- Front and rear tread – this reading is usually referred to as the axle track, but the terms are interchangeable. It’s the reading from the center of one tire’s tread, across the axle, and to the center of the opposite tire’s tread.
- Wheelbase – the horizontal measurement between the center points of the front and rear wheels down one side of the car.
Hyundai Kona EV external dimensions
You’ll find plenty of information about the Hyundai Kona EV’s dimensions in the owner’s manual. The information I’ll list below is extracted straight from it.
However, I recommend looking through the owner’s manual that came with your car. It may contain model-specific information or data. The figures on this page are intended to be a general guide, not official advice.
- Height: 1,555 mm (61.2 inches); 1,570 (61.8 inches) with roof rack
- Length: 4,180 mm (164.6 inches)
- Wheelbase: 2,600 mm (102.4 inches)
- Width: 1,800 mm (70.9 inches)
- Front track: 1,564 mm (61.6 inches)
- Rear track: 1,575 mm (62.0 inches)
The Hyundai Kona EV’s turning circle isn’t mentioned in the owner’s manual (at least, so far as I can see!). However, it’s generally taken to be between 10.4 meters (34.1 feet) and 10.6 meters (34.8 feet).
Hyundai Kona EV cargo dimensions
The Hyundai Kona EV has five seats. These can be folded down when not in use to make extra room for cargo storage.
The Hyundai Kona EV owner’s manual explains the minimum and maximum volumes corresponding to the seats being up and down. These are as follows:
- Minimum cargo storage volume (rear seats up): 544 liters (19.2 cubic feet)
- Maximum cargo storage volume (rear seats down): 1,296 liters (45.7 cubic feet)
When do you need to know the dimensions of a car?
The dimensions and measurements of your Hyundai Kona EV might be relevant in the following situations:
- Using an automated car wash with a height limitation
- Parking in a small garage or other tight space
- To apply for certain site permits or tax records
- If you want to know how much luggage you can take on a road trip
In most cases, your Hyundai Kona EV will fit just fine. It’s not remarkably different from any other standard SUV on the road. However, it might pay to be sure!
Although this guide contains a general overview of the dimensions of a Kona EV, it shouldn’t be taken as advice. If you own an older model or buy a new model after the publication date of this article, the readings might be different.
You must always read your owner’s manual before making any decisions about your car. You’ll find a copy of the Hyundai Kona EV owner’s manual below.