Electric cars and all modern vehicles are all about luxury and accessibility.
Apple CarPlay can be found in almost every new transport on the road, including the BMW i4. This combines the functionality of your phone with the sleek practicality of an EV.
This guide will walk you through setting up Apple CarPlay in your BMW i4.
Table of Contents
What is Apple CarPlay, and can you use it on the BMW i4?
CarPlay is an automotive system introduced by the tech giant Apple.
It first came out back in March 2014. Since then, its popularity has grown enormously.
Nowadays, most American car buyers would only consider getting a new vehicle if it came with Apple CarPlay. That’s an astonishing statistic, as it means the mobile phone industry has a key stake in the automotive.
It also shows that one of the biggest concerns for modern drivers isn’t the driving experience but rather the technological integration with their pre-existing devices.
Like almost every modern car, the BMW i4 does come with Apple CarPlay. It’s also got Android Auto functionality if you use one of those models.
Connecting BMW i4 to Apple CarPlay iPhone
There is one primary way to connect your phone to Apple CarPlay in the BMW i4: Bluetooth and WLAN (Wi-Fi).
Requirements for connecting to Apple CarPlay
Before you start, ensure your mobile device is compatible.
- It must be an Apple iPhone.
- It must run at least iOS 9.3.
- The oldest supported model for Apple CarPlay is the iPhone 5.
- You must have cellular data/mobile internet included on your phone’s contract.
- Bluetooth, WLAN (Wi-Fi), and Siri must be activated, along with mobile data.
You must also activate WLAN and Bluetooth in your i4.
All new i4 models will have the necessary software for connecting to Apple CarPlay.
How to connect your iPhone to Apple CarPlay and the BMW i4
With all that checked and completed, here’s what to do.
- Open the iDrive menu and select Apps.
- Choose Device manager.
- Pick Connect new device.
- You should see your iPhone listed (although it might take a few seconds). If it doesn’t show up, ensure Bluetooth and WLAN are activated on both the device and the car.
- Tap the iPhone you want to connect to.
- Alternatively, you could select the car’s Bluetooth name from the phone’s Bluetooth menu.
- Compare the safety control numbers across the devices. They should match.
- Choose Use Apple CarPlay.
- Confirm this on your phone.
Apple CarPlay should now activate in your BMW i4’s iDrive. You’ll be able to make calls, send messages, navigate using your phone, and so on.
Using BMW i4 Apple CarPlay
Once Apple CarPlay is activated and connected to your phone, you can use many apps.
How to use Apple CarPlay with Siri
Using voice commands through Siri is the safest way to use Apple CarPlay.
- Press and hold the voice command button.
How to use Apple CarPlay via the touchscreen
Apple CarPlay will show up on the central iDrive touchscreen.
- Tap the apps as appropriate.
- You should really be stopped before taking your eyes off the road.
- Most then require voice inputs (such as sending a message).
What apps does Apple CarPlay have in the BMW i4?
Exactly what’s available to you depends on where you live. The apps in the list below are available in the US market.
There are also many more.
- Apple Maps
Third-party iPhone apps:
- YouTube Music
- Amazon Music
- Google Maps
Is Apple CarPlay safe to use in the BMW i4?
Apple CarPlay is legal to use in your car. However, that doesn’t mean it’s safe.
When you want to change anything on your display, you should really come to a stop in a safe location first. That way, you won’t miss anything happening on the road in front of you. You might avoid a severe accident.
Before connecting to and using Apple CarPlay in your BMW i4, read your owner’s manual. This contains everything you need to know.
If you don’t have your copy to hand, you’ll find a PDF version below.