Seeing the direction in which you’re heading is vital. Without it, you’ll be crashing into the next wall or hedge you come across.
Wiper blades (or ‘windshield wipers’) are a crucial part of this. When water obscures your vision (through rain, spray, snow, sleet, etc.), it must be wiped away. Although it’s a simple design, the humble wiper blade remains the best solution.
On this page, you’ll find instructions for replacing the KIA e-Niro front and rear wiper blades. (In the US market, the e-Niro is sold under the name KIA Niro EV.)
Read your owner’s manual for the most relevant information.
Let’s get into it.
Table of Contents
The importance of wiper blades
Wiper blades are powered by an electric motor on the KIA Niro EV (as they are on almost all cars).
They remove water from the windshield, allowing you to see much more clearly. In fact, without them, you’d undoubtedly have to stop, or you’d be highly likely to crash.
Replacing wiper blades can be fiddly, but you could do it yourself at home if you choose. It’s part of regular maintenance, and should be done as soon as you notice streaking.
How to replace KIA e-Niro front wiper blade
Follow these instructions for replacing the front wiper blade on the KIA Niro EV.
Safety notice: the wiper arms could spring back into position and smash the windshield. It’s sensible to cover the glass with a thick blanket or towel in case this happens.
Replacing ‘Type A’ front wiper blades
Here’s how to change ‘Type A’ wiper blades (per the owner’s manual).
- Protect the windshield.
- Lift the wiper arm.
- Only work on one wiper blade at a time. This mitigates the risk of one smashing back down onto the glass.
- Rotate the blade, so it’s perpendicular to the arm.
- Compress the clip and slide the blade downward.
- The clip attaches to the end of the arm. It will stay pointing upward after you rotate the rest of the blade assembly.
- After moving it downward, lift it upward and remove it from the arm.
- Put your new wiper blade on in reverse order.
Ensure it’s clipped in properly before operating your car.
Replacing ‘Type B’ front wiper blades on the KIA Niro EV
Here’s how to replace the other kind of e-Niro front wiper blade.
- Protect the windshield.
- Raise the wiper arm.
- Again, only work on one front wiper at a time. Leave the other one lying flat.
- Lift the wiper blade clip.
- This time, it’s situated on the back of the blade assembly.
- Pull the wiper blade down to remove it from the hook end of the arm.
- Install your new wiper blade, following the above instructions in reverse order.
Check that you’ve attached it correctly before using the wipers.
How to replace KIA e-Niro rear wiper blade
Follow the instructions below to replace the KIA e-Niro rear wiper blade.
- Protect the rear windshield.
- Pull the wiper arm out and away from the car.
- Rotate the wiper blade, so it’s perpendicular to the arm.
- Pull the wiper assembly out and away from the arm.
- It should detach. You’ll need to use a little force, but don’t break it.
- Push the new wiper blade onto the rear arm until it clicks into place.
- Give it a slight tug to check it won’t come off.
Check the blade is seated correctly and won’t come loose under regular operation.
Where can you find KIA Niro EV wiper blades?
It’s usually best to get your wiper blades replaced by KIA itself. That’s especially true if you’re uncomfortable with working on your car.
Go to your local KIA dealer or authorized shop. They’ll source the correct parts and fit them for you.
Alternatively, you could head to any parts store (in-person or online). You’ll have them in no time.
Some KIA Niro EV owners have reported difficulty finding aftermarket wiper blades. Paying KIA’s dealer rates and installing OEM blades might be less hassle.
Although you can replace your KIA e-Niro rear wiper blade yourself, feel free to ask for help. It’s a simple job, and most good auto parts stores will offer to fit it for you. There could be a small fee.
Read your KIA e-Niro owner’s manual for more information about your rear wiper blade.