Seeing where you’re going is essential. In fact, the further ahead (and to the sides) you have in your field of vision, the better prepared you’ll be to react.
Modern lighting systems on EVs and new cars come with dynamic settings and are often controlled by driver assists.
PDLS and PDLS Plus introduce improved versions of the Porsche Taycan’s high-beam headlights. This page walks you through how to use them.
Read your owner’s manual before operating your high beams, whether you have PDLS or not. This way, you can be sure you aren’t blinding anyone.
Table of Contents
What is Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS)?
Porsche Dynamic Light System uses LED headlights to illuminate a large section of the road in front of you as you drive. The LED lights alone are much brighter than standard halogen bulbs.
PDLS also adjusts the beams based on your speed, weather conditions, and oncoming traffic. As such, you get the best view for your driving circumstances at any particular moment.
This is incredibly helpful. You’ll be able to see much further around corners and curves in the roads. It makes driving through neighborhoods and along mountainous roads at night much safer.
Ensure dynamic high beam is activated
Before using PDLS or PDLS Plus, you must ensure the dynamic high beam is activated.
- Open Settings.
- Go to Vehicle.
- Select Light and visibility.
- Choose Exterior lights.
- Activate Dynamic high beam, if applicable.
- Ensure Full beam adaptation on vehicle recognition is active.
Operating Porsche Dynamic Light System on the Taycan
Follow the instructions below if your Taycan has PDLS fitted.
- Ensure the dipped beam headlights are already on.
- Press the left stalk away from you once.
- The green Dynamic High Beam Assist light comes on.
- It’s a headlight icon with an ‘A’ in the center.
The blue full-beam headlight indicator will illuminate when PDLS activates the full beam.
The Porsche Taycan headlights will adjust in intensity based on the traffic and weather conditions. You’ll notice several settings between the normal dipped and high beam intensities.
How to turn the PDLS lights off
Follow these instructions to turn the PDLS lights off in the Porsche Taycan:
Pull the left stalk towards you.
The headlights will continue operating in the dipped beam mode.
You can only turn the PDLS high beam off if the blue full beam indicator is currently displayed in the cluster.
What is Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS Plus)?
PDLS Plus uses LED matrix headlights on your Porsche Taycan. These are comprised of 84 individual LEDs.
Since each LED can turn itself on and off or adjust its brightness, you end up with an incredible range of illumination controlled by Intersection Assistant. You’ll see even further around corners, and the lights will adapt to the traffic conditions and weather even better.
Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus is exactly what it sounds like – an upgraded version of the standard PDLS.
Operating PDLS Plus on the Porsche Taycan
Here’s how to use PDLS Plus to control your Porsche Taycan headlights.
- Check that your dipped beam headlights are already on.
- Push the left stalk away from you once.
- The dynamic high-beam will activate, controlling PDLS Plus.
- You’ll see the green Dynamic High Beam Assist light illuminate.
- It’s a green headlight icon with an ‘A’ in the middle.
The blue icon will appear in your instrument cluster when the LED matrix headlights use the main beam.
The headlight intensities will adjust depending on many conditions and other road users. Ensure you still maintain general awareness.
How to turn the dynamic full beam off with PDLS Plus
When the PDLS Plus dynamic full beam is already active, follow these instructions:
- Pull the left stalk towards you.
The dynamic full beam turns off, leaving the dipped headlights operational.
Overriding PDLS and PDLS Plus
If you choose, you can override PDLS and PDLS Plus with either of the following methods.
Activate high beam manually
To activate the high beam manually:
- Press the left stalk away from you twice.
You’ll see the blue full beam icon illuminate.
Deactivate dynamic high beam
You can deactivate the dynamic high beam, leaving you in manual control of the lights. Settings will be limited to standard dipped and full beam options.
- Go to Settings.
- Choose Vehicle.
- Select Light and visibility.
- Open Exterior lights.
- Deactivate Dynamic high beam.
As with everything, PDLS and PDLS Plus aren’t perfect. Most significantly, watch out for the following:
- Drivers ahead of you and oncoming traffic being clearly blinded by your high beams.
- Watch out for low-lit road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.
- An orange headlight indicator – this means PDLS is faulty.
- When switching countries and driving on the other side of the road (such as from the UK to Europe). In most cases, this happens automatically. If not, these settings can be adjusted by following these instructions:
- Go to Settings.
- Open Vehicle.
- Choose Light and visibility.
- Select Exterior lights.
- Pick Inverted setting of dipped beam.
You must adjust the high beam lights manually if applicable. Go to a Porsche dealership if a problem won’t resolve.
For more information and to learn more about the system’s limitations, consult the Porsche Taycan owner’s manual. You’ll find a PDF copy below.