Sometimes, parking can be a chore.
You’re in luck if you relate to that statement and own a BMW iX. Parking Assist is one of the many driver assists found on modern cars and electric vehicles.
The BMW iX Parking Assist helps with parallel and bay parking. This article walks you through how to turn it on and off.
Note: always read your owner’s manual before operating your car, including the Parking Assist.
Table of Contents
What is the BMW iX Parking Assist?
The BMW iX Parking Manoeuvre Assistant helps you to, well, park your car. It’s often referred to as Park Assist or Parking Assist.
You won’t find Park Assist on all iX models, so check your car’s specifications. If in any doubt, you could always go to your local BMW dealership.
The system uses ultrasonic sensors in the:
- Front bumper
- Rear bumper
Additionally, the BMW iX Parking Assist Professional uses cameras in the:
- Reverse Assist (rear)
- Exterior mirror
The BMW iX Parking Assist helps you:
- Parallel park
- Leave your parallel parking space
- Bay park
- Leave your bay parking space
Always remember, though, that it’s a driver assist. This isn’t a self-driving system, nor should it be completely relied upon. You must always maintain concentration and be ready to brake or steer should the car not register something or the feature fail.
Consult your owner’s manual before driving!
What is BMW iX Parking Assist Professional?
Parking Manoeuvre Assistant Professional is the same system but with many added features.
For example, it displays live camera feeds, giving you a better view of your vehicle’s surroundings as it parks.
The Professional version also orientates the car based on bordering limits such as curbs and parking lines. This makes for a smoother experience.
Most BMW iX models from 2021/2022 have Parking Assist Professional. Some might need a software upgrade. Check for a Remote Software Upgrade in your car’s settings.
How to turn the BMW iX Parking Assist on
The BMW iX Parking Assist is always active when driving slowly (below 22 mph) and in a straight line. The side ultrasonic sensors will be searching for gaps all the time.
You’ll need to turn the Parking Assist on when the car finds a suitable space. Do this by either:
- Pressing the Parking Assist button; or
- You’ll find this on the center console by the gear selector.
- It’s a camera, the letter “P”, and waves emitting from it.
- Coming to a complete stop and selecting Reverse; or
- Ensure no other road users are directly behind you.
- Check your surroundings before allowing the Parking Assist to take control.
- Using the iDrive infotainment system.
- Go to the Menu.
- Select Vehicle Apps.
- Choose Parking.
This then brings up the control screen. You’ll then need to follow the on-screen instructions. In general, you’ll need to:
- Select the Parking Assist.
- Choose the parking space you want the iX to park in.
- If necessary, select the orientation.
Follow the on-screen instructions at all times.
To leave a parking space:
- Turn the iX on and activate the drive-ready state.
- Press the Parking Assist button.
- Select the suggested parking method.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and let Parking Assist take over.
Be ready to override the system (see below) at any point. Check the traffic conditions are safe before moving out of the space.
How do you turn the BMW iX Parking Assist off (override)?
You can’t turn off the ultrasonic sensors. They’re always looking for parking spaces.
However, you can choose to ignore the Parking Assist and simply park using your own skill. You can also deactivate the alerts in the Driver assistance menu.
If you’re part-way through the Parking Assist feature, you could override the system by:
- Steering and tapping the accelerator pedal lightly
- Pressing the brake pedal
- Lightly tapping the accelerator twice
- Gripping or turning the steering wheel
The BMW iX Parking Assist will also automatically cancel in various circumstances. These include if an object moves in front of the car or if the weather conditions (for example, snow) are poor.
Consult your owner’s manual for more information about when Parking Assist automatically cancels.
Reading your owner’s manual is essential. Go through it to find more information about the BMW iX Parking Assist. Check out the PDF below.